Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day


Today I was lucky enough to be off of work. And I knew and appreciated the reason why. As we are proceeding in our adoption journey I am often reminded, since we are dealing with China, how lucky we are to be able to have the freedoms we do. I maen jsut this past week we had election day and do matter how you feel about the outcome, WE HAVE THE FREEDOM TO VOTE!! And today is a day to remember all those who have been willing to give up their lives to make sure we have these rights. So imagine my horror when I had this brief exchange today with an adult acquaintance. "Hi Kathie How are you?" I replied "I'm fine, I'm enjoying my day off" He answered" Yeah, why is it that your off? I'm afraid I don't keep up with the holidays"

I was stunned!! How does one forget that it is Veteran's Day. Are we so holiday happy that we don't even take the time to appreciate the reason that we have been given the time off. My sister-in law took my nephews yesterday to visit a VA hospital. She brought them some things that our local elementary school students put together. Her father participated in the Gulf War when she was little. I always think of my late father on this day and his tour in Korea. He always talked of his time there with pride. So please let's all remember today those who have fought for us and those who are fighting now. Let's not get so busy that we become blaise about something as meaningful as Veteran's Day. And if you have a VA Hospital near you , go for a visit, and remember to say thank you!!

2 comments:

Joy Springob said...

Hey Kathie,

Great post and ABSOLUTELY true.

We went to our local parade - and it was AWESOME!
When the Vets - some active and a couple from WWI passed along the route, people cheered and clapped.

It was great to be part of that and to show a small appreciation!

Love the idea about visiting a VA hospital.

You are so smart!!

Joy

Mom Of Many said...

Thank you for posting about our Veteran's and military. It encourages this Military Mom's heart to know that people still remember and truly care!